Spatial Dashboards for WA data - Does anyone have any they would like to share or interested in discussing ideas to dashboard

Hi All,

After doing a bit or exploration of spatial dashboards I think that they have heaps of potential for helping people in a large state like ours, get a better understanding of what is going on in the regions and cities, potentially helping to bridge some of the spatial divides that occur and provide insights into problems and opportunities that we have only in the past seen as a table of numbers or a summary figure for the whole of the state.

As the state starts to become more digitally and data literate I could see all agencies reporting their KPI’s through spatial dashboards to tap into this improve way of communicating more clearly. What do you think?

cheers Pat

7 Likes

Agree, a sour digital roadmaps mature the GIS space will become more important. We are using ESRI right now to format a GIS roadmap and technology pathway. I am very interested in shared models of Wharves, Berths , sheds, rail etc and similliar port equipment…and seeing performance data in real-time with a customer engagement perspective WA road have some excellent data systems

4 Likes

I guess it depends on the type of KPI an agency has. I see a lot of good outcomes with ‘spatial’ driven dashboards when it meets a community need. The COVID dashboard has been a great example of this.

Dashboard reporting on KPIs that relate to datasets shared etc. have little value. A dashboard highlighting data captured (type, location, by whom, owner etc) would have more value. A dashboard that supports the community getting to where they need to go, even better.

For example, roads closed (especially in outback WA). This is managed by individual local governments so the road information ends at their border and the next LG may present and report on it differently making it hard to go one place to the next. A ‘spatial’ dashboard/map that connects this information from across all LG’s would be a great example of a community outcome.

5 Likes

I think Maryland in the US have a pretty good example of doing this well.
This Hub allows them to direct users to specific topics where dashboards and other apps can give metrics or status at a glance.
Also have local governments all collected as links at the bottom of the home page.
Maryland’s GIS Data Catalog

2 Likes

Whilst not specifically a spatial dashboard - agency annual reports are a great source of KPI reporting metrics. The Main Roads one for example ( Home (mainroads.wa.gov.au)) is functional, accessible and tells the public what it needs to know.

Spatially driven dashboards could provide better sources of information (as @dmottolini said) and are more readily understood than a pdf or a bunch of twitter posts.

4 Likes

After doing a bit or exploration of spatial dashboards I think that they have heaps of potential for helping people in a large state like ours, get a better understanding of what is going on in the regions and cities.

Potentially helping to bridge some of the spatial divides that occur and provide insights into problems and opportunities that we have only in the past seen as a table of numbers or a summary figure for the whole of the state.

As the state starts to become more digitally and data literate I could see all agencies reporting their KPI’s through spatial dashboards to tap into this improve way of communicating more clearly.

Steinco Industrial Solutions, Inc.

1 Like

Latest Australian housing data from the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare AIHW Housing Data Dashboard | Housing data.

1 Like

Thanks Kylie that is a great source of housing data for use in data analytics. I am keen to see if we can link to it in a spatial dashboard. I recently found the DMIRS Major Resource Projects data set pretty useful for a state wide dashboard. Let me know what you think? (The filters are great for checking out different stories ie filter by region or commodity or mine life stage) WA Major Resource Projects (DMIRS)