Perth Metro aerial capture - Winter 2021

For those looking for an update on the Perth Metro aerial capture (RGB @10cm), I can advise that it started on Tuesday (24th Aug). It is estimated to take about 50 hours (14 days) to fly the 9,400sqkm but will ultimately be a function of the weather, prescribed burning by DBCA and any Perth Air Traffic Control restrictions.
Assuming things go smoothly, the mosaic should be available in late October.

I will provide updates as they come to hand.

Capture status as of Fri 10 Sept - three quarters of the Perth Metro South block has been flown. This represents about 25% of the entire project now captured.

Updates provided as they come to hand.

2 Likes

Capture status as of Tue 21 Sept - the metro southern block and Rottnest Island is complete. The central block is 30% flown, so we estimate about 55% of the metro capture extent has now been completed.

The weather and prescribed burns may hamper the schedule, so there is no definitive completion date. I will provide an update during the week.

1 Like

Capture status as of Wed 13 Oct - Poor weather has prevented too much happening in the last 10 days, and any windows of opportunity were taken up by re-flying parts of the southern block that were cloud affected. Southern and central blocks are now fully captured.
In-roads were made in to the northern block yesterday and the next 3 days are looking positive. A second camera and plane combo will also be deployed to Perth to capitalise on the improved weather outlook.
There are still no delivery dates, but we are advised that the processing has begun. Mosaic delivery dates will be available early next week and I will advise further then.

2 Likes

Capture status as of Tues 26 Oct - despite previously reporting the completion of the southern and central blocks, I regret to advise that cloud wisps in some of the southern runs has necessitated a re-flying of portions last week. This interrupted the northern block program which finally began last Friday.
We are expecting the delivery of the raw data (southern and central block) from the contractor later this week and because it is 10cm resolution, may take up to 6 weeks to process. We have no indication as to when we might receive the northern block data.
At this stage, we expect the southern and central mosaics to be available in SLIP in early December.
I will provide updates as they become to hand.

1 Like

Capture status as of Monday 1 Nov - I can report that the northern block had been completed, but………they needed to re-fly 6 of the 44 runs across the weekend. I understand this has been completed, but still awaiting the outcome of some QA.
In addition, there has been a minor delay in the delivery of the southern block imagery, which means the mosaics won’t be available now until mid-December, but we are confident of being able to get them into SLIP before Xmas.

1 Like

The entire Perth metro extent has now been captured and Landgate anticipates taking receipt of the raw Southern block today. Six weeks of intensive processing now lays ahead.

Our contractor advises we should take delivery of the Central and North in coming days.

We are confident that all 3 mosaics will be available to customers (on HDD) before Christmas 2021.

However, we anticipate that only South and Central are likely to be available in SLIP by that date, but the inclusion of North hasn’t been ruled out.

2 Likes

Perth metropolitan mosaic availability update:

Southern block (and applicable LGA extents) will be available on HDD before Christmas 2021.
Central and North blocks (and applicable LGA extents) will be available on HDD in the first week of Jan 2022

We are aiming for a data migration on 5th Jan, which means all three mosaics should be available in SLIP on 19th Jan 2022.

1 Like

Perth metropolitan mosaic availability update:

The mosaic will be available in the WA Now SLIP service and Map Viewer Plus from Thursday 20th January 2022.

It will be available in the Perth Metro SLIP service approximately one week later.

1 Like

The winter 2021 metro mosaic will be in the Perth Metro SLIP service on Thursday 27th January.

2 Likes